Saturday, April 21, 2007

Ok, the Flaming Lips seem to be a continuing THEME on this blog. Yes, I like em, but they just seem to be around a lot lately

...like here for instance, when they played FREE last week in Gainesville, Florida at the University of Florida's Flavet Field. This is the first 8 minutes of the show, with Wayne Coyne's magic surf bubble ride (right over my head) and "Race for the Prize". The opening of a Lips show has got to be one of the most joyous and raucous experiences in music. In fact (and this was my third time) I would posit that feeling of hearing those first few notes of "Race" and feeling and seeing the crowd go apeshit, as being as close to a bonified "religious" experience as I can personally think of (I'm not traditionally "religious"). I'd say it is a feeling right up there with the first time I saw Iggy Pop come spinning out on a stage to "I Got A Right" in 1986 (when he was opening up for the Pretenders on his Blah Blah Blah tour), or whenever I hear the James Bond theme and the gun barrel logo opening a NEW Bond film, one that I have yet to see and well, a lot of other moments of "joy" that I have experienced in my life, which have nothing to do with music or pop culture. Anyway, enjoy this clip:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home