Monday, March 14, 2005

Unleashed in the East!

So it's been a whirlwind since touching down at Kansai International in Osaka. Joe and I hit the ground running once we got settled in the Hotel Dotombori and within no time found ourselves wandering the wild streets of Osaka and making pals. I'll let these pics speak for themselves right now. I am now in Yokkaichi, where Joe and Libby have thier old apartment still (after moving to Tsu - about 30 minutes down the tracks but an easy hour by car, which we are travelling around in). We are meeting a gang of their pals out tonight but since this apartment still has the internet connection, I am able to post. I went to Nara yesterday, saw one of the largest Bronze cast Buddha's in the world, which is housed in the largest wooden structure in the world, it was very, very impressive. Actually I am still quite overwhelmed by Japan, it is daunting, the line between old Japan and New Japan is blurry to say the least. Though I will say that the Japanese we have met (this is in a variety of social situations - young punks, cool kids, a doctor, the president of a university, hotel & restaurant staff, etc.) have been the most incredibly gracious and wonderful people I believe I have ever met. It is a Japanese characteristic that I truly wish we could import to the USA.

Pics for now:

nara1

priest

mojobar1
Some of the gang at the Merseyside Mojo bar, our home away from home in Osaka

suntory_time
For relaxing times...make it Suntory time.

yea_right_scarface
We met the local Tony Montana. Joe is impressed.

rob_deer

joe_rob_buddha

japanband1
Neil and Rob (from England) with Joe and I outside our digs, Hotel Dotombori - early morning, returning home from a great night out in Osaka.

jap_punk1
Found this cave in Osaka at 5 in the morning, still rocking out to the Misfits

harmonicas_unite
Harmonica's Unite!

buddha_nostril
I fit through this, thus insuring enlightenment, Joe fit too. Very tight squeeze. It's the exact size of the nostril of the Nara Buddha (see pic) and if one can make it through, well, there is hope.

baseball_kids

with_raid

osakacastlerob

neon_freakout

jpop_girls

fly_mojo
Kanpai! From Osaka with Love.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian King said...

Tiger Tanaka: Rule number one: never do anything yourself when someone else can do it for you.
James Bond: And rule two?
Tiger Tanaka: Rule number two: in Japan, men come first, women come second.
James Bond: I just might retire here.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home