Sunday, May 13, 2007

My endless search for the Perfect Moment

Spalding Gray talked about searching for a perfect moment on a beach in Thailand in the film Swimming to Cambodia and well, one of the places I look for the "perfect moment" is at live music shows - sometimes you find it, sometimes you don't, but I keep looking. Tonight I enjoyed one of those moments: pure joyful exuberance - brought on by good music, a wild house party atmosphere and a lot of giddy enthusiasm for the night's musical proceedings.

I caught the Brooklyn based Matt and Kim tonight and they were a blast - as advertised. I am quite positive that I was the oldest person in the room. The show was originally scheduled for a little hipster art gallery that puts on the occasional show here in Savannah GA but was moved for whatever reason to the "Pink Palace" - which from quick inspection seems to be an art school freakout party house. I love shows that go down in these kind of "unofficial" venues: the energy level is always crazier at a house party than one would find at a bar or club. Before the show I had the pleasure of yacking with Kim (drummer for Matt and Kim) and I told her how I came to hear about her band via a shoutout link on myspace (they were one of myspace's coveted "featured artists" a few weeks back which as you can imagine - with the unlimited potential audience out there - is perhaps the best instant advertising that any band could ever wish for). She said they were touring in Europe when the "featured band" thing hit and when they got back they had a zillion hits on their myspace site - she said she spent hours "adding" all the new friends. I asked them how this shoutout came to fruition and she said they know some folks over at SNOCAP who like them (a middleman outfit for selling tunes on myspace started by Shawn Fanning - the brain behind the old skool Napster) and they are in cahoots with some folks over at myspace and well, you know, this is how you get your name out...so see kids, it's all about who (and not what) you know out in the real world!)

Anyway, here is a Matt and Kim YouTube posted video for their incredibly infectious song "Yea Yeah" and from it you can see just how much fun this act would be in a living room party full of youth addled energy - and so it was (see my pix for proof) - a living room full of sweaty college kids jumping up and down, yelling, the floor juking-and-a-shaking underfoot - YEA YEAH!:


and here are my pix from tonight's show:









Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home