Saturday, February 19, 2005

Nippon here I come!

Soon I shall be "lost in translation" as it were, as I am off to Japan.

This will be my first trip to the Far East. First soiree over the Pacific actually. I stared at that particular ocean for close to 9 years, even dipped my toe into it on occasion (it's cold), though the farthest west I ever went was over to Catalina Island and its wonderful Two Harbors area.

Why Japan? Well, I have some good friends who are over there teaching the Queen's tongue to the Japanese and as promised at their going away party at Jazz'd here in Savannah, when everyone say's to the departee's, "I can't wait to visit you," while quaffing copious amounts of booze, well, I am making good on it.

Stacy is a real student of Japan, primarily Japanese photography, and for a taste of what she has to say on the subject, go here to her excellent site (which has become a noted well of critical thought on Japanese photography):

the space in between

I am bummed that she won't be with me on this adventure - due to her work schedule - but I am sure I'll get my feet wet and come home and start plotting a return with her by my side. Our shelves are full of hulking books on Japanese photography, not to mention a lot of japanese literature (which I have yet to tear into) and I feel I have only scratched the surface of this world that is so amazing, yet so mis-understood in western minds - mine included.

My friends, Joe and Libby, have been over there since last August, living in the town of Yokkaichi, though they are moving to the town of Tsu, in Mie Prefecture, where Joe has taken a better english teaching gig (one that comes with a house and a car). Tsu is on the eastern side of Japan, between Nagoya and Osaka, on or very near Ise Bay and is in the Kansai part of Japan, which is where Kyoto and Nara are located (two treasure trove towns of Japanese history that are always listed as a "must see"). Anyway, Joe and Libby have a great blog that tracks their time in Japan, check it out here to get an idea of what life for a gaijin (gai = outside & jin = person) is like:

Nippon Notebooks

but I'm really going over there to look for this guy

ultraman

There was no one cooler. Hiyata/Ultraman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home